M.B.B.S, FRCOG, FRANZCOG, MAOG
Advanced Endoscopic Surgery
Endoscopic Instrument Design
Michael is known for his dedication and passion for his work. His areas of specialisation include advanced laparoscopic techniques for endometriosis, pelvic reconstruction, hysterectomy and vaginal mesh reconstructive surgery.
In 1996 Michael was a founding member of Oxford Women's Health (then known as Oxford Clinic).
Along with his colleagues, Michael has been at the forefront of developing and introducing new advanced laparoscopic techniques in New Zealand. In fact he has developed a special instrument to aid laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomies (LAVH).
"I like to challenge the status quo and respond with a better way of doing things. The biggest kick I get is dealing with people who, after treatment, have an improved quality of life."
Through his involvement with the International Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy, he travels internationally to share his knowledge and teach surgeons in developing countries. He is also involved in training and developing the next generation of local specialists.
Michael came to New Zealand from the United Kingdom in 1980 as a house surgeon and in 1983 started working as a registrar at Christchurch Women's Hospital. He undertook specialist training in Christchurch and the UK, including a Masters in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Liverpool University. In 1988 Michael settled back in Christchurch.
Michael is married to Jane and together they have four adult children. He enjoys sailing, reading and road cycling.
- Director of Oxford Women's Health
- Director of Forté Health
- Member of New Zealand National Committee of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG)
- Member of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG)
- Expert Advisor to the New Zealand Health and Disability Commissioner
- Examiner for RANZCOG
- Former Executive Board Member of International Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy
- Former Clinical Director of Gynaecology, Christchurch Women's Hospital
03 379 0555
Please complete this form to request an appointment
We will confirm your appointment with you as soon as possible.