M.B., ChB, Dip. Obst, FRCOG, FRANZCOG
Advanced Endoscopic Surgery
While working in the United Kingdom, Michael developed an interest in the surgical management of gynaecological cancer.
He played a significant part in the establishment of the Gynae/Oncology Centre in Christchurch, which is now the tertiary referral centre for gynaecological malignancies for the South Island.
Michael's other major interest has been the development of advanced endoscopic surgical techniques through hysteroscopic and laparoscopic surgery. He has been able to combine his interests in advanced endoscopic surgery and gynaecological malignancy so that much of his surgical work in the field of gynaecological cancer is now carried out laparoscopically.
Michael teamed up with John Doig to raise funds for establishing the South Island's first In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) unit at Christchurch Women's Hospital. The unit opened on 27 April 1991 and continues to successfully serve the South Island population.
In 1996 Michael helped to establish Oxford Women's Health (then known as Oxford Clinic).
Along with his colleagues at Oxford Women's Health, Michael helped to develop the Endometriosis Centre. This service provides medical and surgical management for New Zealand women with endometriosis.
Michael graduated from Otago University Medical School in 1972. He worked in Christchurch and then the UK before returning to Christchurch in 1980 as Tutor Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Christchurch Women's Hospital.
Michael's recreational interests include competitive motorsport, mountain biking, road cycling, tennis and golf.
- Consultant Gynaecologist and Gynaecological Oncologist at Oxford Women's Health and Christchurch Women's Hospital
- Director of Oxford Women's Health
- Fellow of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (FRANZCOG)
- Fellow of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (FRCOG)
- Member of the New Zealand Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal since 1999
- Member of Operating Theatre Committee at St George's Hospital
- Member of Clinic Committee at the Southern Cross Hospital
- Member of New Zealand Endometriosis Foundation
- Member of Australasian Gynaecological Endoscopy and Surgery Society
- Member of Australian Society of Gynaecologic Oncologists
- Member of New Zealand Gynae/Oncology Group
03 379 0555
Please complete this form to request an appointment
We will confirm your appointment with you as soon as possible.